What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Thursday, February 18, 2010

showing others your work

Raymond Chandler said about showing others your work:

I have made three rules of writing for myself that are absolutes: Never take advice. Never show or discuss work in progress. Never answer a critic.


I've never been good at following rules. I like them, but for everyone else. Not, for me. Yet, I think I should adopt Chandler's three absolutes. My stomach has been in knots for days. I sent off the manuscript so far to a good friend, one of my closest.

She was eager to receive it, but had some crappy events happen just as I sent it. I don't think she's had a chance or the energy to look at it yet, so I've been holding my breath. What kind of friend says, sorry things suck for you right now but have you read my draft?

I missed a call from her last night and, though of course I'll call her back today, I'm anxious about talking to her. What if she read it and thinks it's rot? What if she didn't, and I eventually break and beg her to read it, even while she's trying to deal with more important concerns? Worse, what if it is rot and she does the nice friend thing and just tells me it's great?

To make matters more stressful, this friend is a former creative writing student of mine, so where does that leave me as her teacher that once inspired her who needs to go back to teaching English and leave the writing for those who can? Those who can, do. Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English.

I've gotten myself in a pickle. I guess the only thing I can do is wait, not bring it up, and hope she feels she can be honest with me. If she doesn't like it, I guess I'll follow Chandler's rules, not answer her, not take her advice, and not show a work in progress to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment