What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Monday, February 8, 2010

Write Your Tush Off Weekend! Ends

Write Your Ass Off Weekend has officially ended, but I'm in the middle of an important scene and can't sleep, so I'm going on, weekend or not. I made some good progress this weekend, even though What Not To Wear proved too irresistible and I ended up watching two episodes after dinner. I'm sure Clinton and Stacey would object to my watching their show wearing my striped, crochet slipper socks. But they keep my toes toasty warm!



Can you believe someone donated these to the Salvation Army? I got them on half-price Wednesday. Fifty cents for warm feet. What a find.

Okay, so back to work. My two main characters are still falling in love. I don't want the dialogue sounding cliche and clunky. I need to eavesdrop on two teenagers on a romantic date. Think The Teen would let me follow him around a few days? Maybe if I pay for the dates?

No comments:

Post a Comment