What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Write Your Tush Off Day! commences

Okay, so best laid plans ... and all that.
I'm posting my comment from the blog Editorial Ass as explanation of why I didn't start my Write Your Ass Off Day on time.

Better late than never. I signed up to write my @ss off from 11am to 7pm today and instead slept my @ss off until 11:30 then ran my teenage son around town. But it's 1:30ish and I'm starting now. I'm splitting the eight hours between today and tomorrow, so one butt cheek off Saturday and one Sunday. What else can I do tomorrow when everyone else I know is watching the big game. Go, eh? Who's playing? Anyway ... starting off with a blog post @ Doom-Eager (my blog about the rapture and misery of writing (http://doom-eager.blogspot.com) and then working on my YA manuscript. I'm about 28,000 words in (130 pages or so) and looking to knock out 2,000 words this weekend. Wish me luck!

Saturday, February 06, 2010 1:41:00 PM


I'll be posting my progress participating in WYAOD over the weekend. I've just about finished my Grande Sugar-free Cinnamon Dolche Americano and it's off to work on Chapter 11 of the book. It's such a beautiful day outside in sunny Florida. I'm going to try hard to stay motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment