What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Junot Diaz on Becoming a Writer

Last year, during the brief, wondrous year I got to own a bookstore, I fell in love with Junot Diaz's writing. I had never heard of him before his 2007 novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I had not found a writer I could love since reading Yan Martel's 2001 debut novel Life of Pi. Alas, I do not fall in love easily, but when I do, I fall hard and it's forever.

Writing coach Jessica Page Morrell posted this link to Diaz's article in O Magazine online on becoming a writer. I thought I'd pass it along. I was pleased to read Diaz speaking to the concept of "doom-eager" in the last paragraph.

Enjoy, and if you haven't read his work, give it a shot. I don't think it's for everyone, but what is? Fans of geek culture, Tolkien, Dungeons and Dragons, and comic books will relate to the character of Oscar right away. Those who appreciate the craft of writing will fall in love. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment