What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Monday, November 16, 2009

I did a foolish thing last night, and it has left me feeling like a doofus. In my rush to clean up the kitchen and get ready to watch The Amazing Race, Dexter, and Californication (the reason I spend much of the weekend looking forward to Sunday evening), I caused first and second degree burns on my left hand. I thought the cooking oil had cooled down. I was going to pour it into a mason jar over the sink and then take the oil outside to pour out. I once clogged my sink with grease and had to take the pipes apart to clean the gobbed-up mess, so now I find a place in a corner farthest from the house to dump it. It turns the grass brown in that spot but at least my pipes are clear.

Well, it wasn't cool. I bumbled the frying pan and ended up in the ER at 9:30 instead of watching Dexter Morgan hunt and kill Trinity, and where RN Jason, who, like myself, seemed miffed to be there slathered my red, swelling hand with antibiotic goo and wrapped it tightly in gauze and an ace bandage, so tightly I can barely wiggle my fingers. Luckily, my middle fingers are free enough to peck at the keyboard. My pinkie and thumb, however, stick out like popsicle sticks.

Having limited use of my hand made me think of my artist friends and how they would feel with a bandaged hand. They're a great bunch of guys into comic art. Today I thought I'd post a link to the Amazon's best graphic novels released in 2009. Stitches, by David Small, also made Publisher Weekly's the top 10 books released in 2009. When I had a bookstore, we specialized in comics and graphic novels. It's nice to see a graphic novel (besides Watchmen) getting its deserved respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment