What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Monday, November 9, 2009

"Doom-Eager" and Why I am Writing this Blog

I'm not sure where I even read the term "doom-eager," perhaps in The Best Writing on Writing edited by Jack Heffron (1994), but I cannot push it from my mind, as of late.  I decided to write this blog partly because it would give me another writing project to focus on besides the novel draft I'm currently working on, but also because I fell in love with this term, "doom-eager." What better, more concise, way to express that feeling, so often decribed by writers, that heavy blend of trepidation and anticipation we face when we sit down to write.

I believe for some our own doom-eager fuels us. We cannot imagine a life without writing. Even when we try to push it away, images, words, characters impress themselves upon us.


Personally, I left a teaching career after seventeen years to devote myself full time to writing. When I sit down to write, I am doom-eager and embrace the struggle and the joy, realizing more and more each day that putting myself in front of the page is my greatest battle. So far, I am winning that battle.

With this blog, I hope to connect to other involved with the writing life, share ideas, and work on the craft. Please comment and share your thoughts and feelings on any aspect of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment