What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Novel Writing: Choosing a Method that Works Best for You by Margo L. Dill

Novel Writing: Choosing a Method that Works Best for You by Margo L. Dill

Quick and easy article by Margo L. Dill on methods for novel writing.


I've plotted out the entire book using index cards. Each color index cards represents a different type of scene. Red cards indicate major plot point scenes, purple cards represent scenes that preview the plot point scenes and heighten tension and suspense, while green index cards are scenes that move the story along to the next major plot point and provide relevant information. Blue cards are shorter scenes that focus on character development and setting, and yellow cards are contrasting scenes that depict how the characters' lives could be if they could have what they want, a glimpse of a happy life were it not for the conflict.

I've tried outlines, sticky notes, plot snake charts, chapter summaries, flow charts. I think I've hit upon a method that works for my visual learning style and allows me to rearrange scenes easily and remove or add scenes quickly to see how each effects the structure of the novel as a whole.

A friend that used to work in grocery store sales and marketing calls it my novel "plan-a-gram," after the corporate plan-a-gram charts she was made to follow for product displays. Hey, it works for me. My only complaint now is I can't use my dining table until I finish writing the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment