What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Monday, June 14, 2010

file under "Advice to Remember"

I like collecting practical advice for the young writer. In my case, I'm not young, but I am young in my quest for publication. There were the attempts in my early twenties at short story publication in the small presses of the day. And, later in my early thirties, I found some success in the local poetry scene. But, now in my early forties, I've begun my first full-fledged attempt at writing and publishing novels. As I write this I see a pattern of activity in the early years of each decade of adulthood. What does that say about me? I'll have to give it further consideration. Anyway ... advice for the young writer from Ring Lardner:
"A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation for the editor."

Something to think about. I wonder how this applies to electronic submissions?

A few more words of advice to the young writer ...
"My point to young writers is to socialize. Don't just go up to a pine cabin all alone and brood. You reach that stage soon enough anyway." - Cyril Connolly

"Advice to young writers? Always the same advice: learn to trust your own judgement, learn inner independence, learn to trust that time will sort the good from the bad -- including your own bad." - Doris Lessing

"They're fancy talkers about themselves, writers. If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don't listen to writers talk about themselves." - Lillian Hellman

And on that note ...

No comments:

Post a Comment