What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

minimize procrastination and worry

"I became an afternoon writer when I had afternoons. When I was able to write full-time, I used to spend the morning procrastinating and worrying, then plunge into the manuscript in a frenzy of anxiety around 3:00 P.M. when it looked as though I might not get anything done. . . . The fact is that blank pages inspire me with terror. What will I put on them? Will it be good enough? Will I have to throw it out? And so forth. I suspect most writers are like this." - Margaret Atwood

The fact is finding time to write is difficult for most writers, even those of us who are home all day. When we look at how we spend our time, however, we may find, like Margaret Atwood, we waste precious time during which we could be writing instead of procrastinating and worrying.

Besides procrastination and worry, watch out for these time-suckers that take away from writing time. Some are just disguised forms of procrastination and worry.

1. Watching television mindlessly. We all have our favorite shows. If possible, I record them and catch up later when I've completed my writing for the day. I try to make watching a show my reward for getting writing done.

2. Running pointless errands. Do I need to run to five different stores, waisting time (and gas)? Can I combine errands or better plan my driving route, so that routine errands don't steal my writing time? I stock up on common household items (buying them when they're on sale, of course), so that I'll need to spend less time shopping.

3. Fussing over unnecessary household projects and tasks. Reorganizing the closet or cleaning out the garage isn't as important to me as sticking to a writing routine. I find it's more productive to write when I'm fresh and alert. Cleaning and tackling projects around the house come after I've written, or can be accomplished during short breaks between chapters or scenes. I've been known to throw in a load of laundry or empty the dishwasher while I'm working through a troublesome passage or scene in my mind.

4. Over-committing of time and energy. It took me many years to realize it's okay to say "no" to friends, colleagues, organizations, and yes, even to family members when saying "yes" means little or no time for writing. The writing life means commitment of my time and energy. This doesn't mean always saying "no," but setting priorities. I ask myself besides writing time, what activities and commitments mean the most to me and my inner circle? What can I honestly commit to and do well, keeping time for writing a central part of my life? It can be hard at times, feeling as if I'm being selfish, but over-committing of my time and energy can leave me feeling drained and resentful.

No comments:

Post a Comment