What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

keeping your tone when writing a novel

This is only my second post this month. Going through my marriage separation and my mother's unexpected illness has left me drained and numb. Today I found comfort in these words by Norman Mailer on stamina and writing a novel:
"A large part of writing a novel is to keep your tone. I love starting a book; I usually like finishing one. It's the long middle stretches that call on your character -- all that in-between! -- those months or years when you have to report to work almost every day. You don't write novels by putting in two brilliant hours a week. You don't write novels if you lose too many mornings and afternoons to a hangover."

I'm in that long middle in-between and have, quite honestly, let my life circumstances shut me down. But, now it's time to wake-up, shake it off, and get back to work. As Mailer puts it, "There's nothing glorious about being a professional.. . . Professionalism probably comes down to being able to work on a bad day."

I've had too many bad days lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment