What is "Doom Eager"?

Lorrie Moore, from "Better and Sicker"
"Martha Graham speaks of the Icelandic term "doom eager" to denote that ordeal of isolation, restlessness, caughtness and artistic experiences when he or she is sick with an idea. When a writer is doom eager, the writing won't be sludge on the page; it will give readers -- and the writer, of course, is the very first reader -- an experience they've never had before, or perhaps a little and at last the words for an experience they have."

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

first words from the editor

Okay, so I'm officially stoked!

Last night I got a brief email from the developmental editor on my first 100 pages of Ruby Rising. She said she "loved the opening lines and the voice" and went on to say how she was getting excited to read the pages, or some such. I don't remember, exactly. After, I read the first part, where "loved" and "opening lines" and "voice" were all used in the same sentence, I got a little woozy and went tearing through the house to find the hubby, who was watching Jack Bauer save the world. He was sweet and paused Jack and CTU to listening to my gushing blather.

I don't know how other people read, but, for me, opening lines sell books. At the bookstore, I search for titles that appeal to me. Then, open to the first page and read the opening sentence. If that sentence doesn't grab me, I rarely read more. I'm sure there are thousands (well, maybe hundreds, or at least a few dozen) really good reads I've tossed aside because the first sentence didn't do it for me. So, for this editor to "love the opening lines" sends me into states of happiness difficult to describe. Similar to the happiness I feel eating really great chocolate cake or having fantastic sex (okay, maybe not that happy). But, man, did I feel good.

Now, I just hope the other 99 pages doesn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment